# 2016-09-21 Council Meeting

Logs: http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2016-09-21#15:15:30

## Roll call

- Lance (chairing)
  - MattJ
  - Dave Cridland
  - Tobias
  - Lance notes that Peter will be absent

## Date of next

  2016-09-28 15:15:00 UTC

## AOB

### OMEMO Axolotl / Olm

- Dave Cridland wonders if we can unblock OMEMO which has remained a proto-XEP
  due to a dependency on a proprietary protocol by switching from Axolotl to
  Olm. Tobias, Lance, and MattJ agree.
- SamWhited wonders if Olm has an audit like OMEMO and TextSecure and what the
  license of the Olm spec is (known implementation is Apache).

    there is no spec, and the sole implementation is GPL, and the copyright
    owner seems litiginous about perceived reverse engineering."
  - SamWhited (concerned about Olm): "I'm nervous that I don't see a license and
      that changes were made that have not been audited (nor have any of the
      implementations to my knowledge).

Actions:

  - Dave Cridland to contact Matrix and ask about how the spec is licensed.

### Message Archiving / MAM

- SamWhited thinks Message Archiving should be deprecated since no ones using it
  and it's confusing having it in draft and MAM experimental.
- MattJ and Dave Cridland note that people are still using Message Archiving, or
  need features that were deliberately left out of MAM
- SamWhited thinks that deprecating it won't stop them from continuing to use it
  if they really need it, but just means that the XSF recommends MAM for new
  implementations
- MattJ says he needs to submit a new MAM revision that uses stanza-id, etc.
  that he is this close: |<-->|
- Lance says if we're that close we can do the draft feedback for MAM first and
  then consider deprecating 136.
- SamWhited and MattJ agree.

EOM