As I said, there is no such thing as a "signal protocol" (as far as I
know), there is only the libsignal implementation and a bunch of specs. 

> It seems you dont have a SignalProtocol implementation, and are
> searching in this XEP for answers how to implement SignalProtocol.
That's right, but the XEP doesn't mention that it requires libsignal.
Maybe it's only a result of not well defined terms. If you know that the
term "signal protocol" means libsignal and that there is no spec for
that, everything is clear.


On 18.09.2017 16:35, Philipp Hörist wrote:
> The section says that the key element contains the encrypted payload,
> which was encrypted with a SignalSession.
> I think its out of scope for the XEP to describe what a SignalSession
> encrypted payload (a SignalMessage) contains.
> The XEP is about using the SignalProtocol with XMPP, not about how
> SignalProtocol works.
>
> So it depends on you having a SignalProtocol library.
>
> It seems you dont have a SignalProtocol implementation, and are
> searching in this XEP for answers how to implement SignalProtocol.
>
>
> 2017-09-18 16:16 GMT+02:00 Paul Schaub <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>>:
>
>     Hi!
>
>
>     Am 18.09.2017 um 15:27 schrieb Klaus Herberth:
>     >
>     > Hi Paul,
>     >
>     > thanks for reading that lengthy email.
>     >
>     > If I understand you correctly, the complete magic happens in the key
>     > element and there is no description in the XEP or in the linked
>     > "signal protocol" which describes it. So all implementations use
>     > libsignal? I think this is terrible for a protocol and I'm a bit
>     shocked.
>     >
>
>     Yeah, you are not the only one thinking so.
>
>     > One more think which I noticed was that somewhere in time the
>     > namespace changed from the well known urn:xmpp:omemo:0 to
>     > eu.siacs.conversations.axolotl. What was the reason for this
>     uncommon
>     > format and is it not weired that there is the term axolotl, but the
>     > protocol uses signal now?
>
>     The reason for that is, that there are two different OMEMOs right now.
>     There is "siacs-OMEMO", which is what's implemented everywhere and
>     uses
>     the siacs namespace. You could call it the "real world-OMEMO". And
>     there
>     is the "perfect-world-OMEMO", of which no implementations exist and
>     which uses the omemo namespace. For quite a long time the XEP-0384 was
>     describing the perfect-world-OMEMO, which was unconvenient, since the
>     XEP is obviously the first place someone who wants to implement OMEMO
>     would look at. A few weeks ago the council decided to roll back
>     the XEP
>     to the state of the siacs implementation. I'm not sure, if there are
>     still people working on the perfect-world-OMEMO XEP. I recommend
>     you to
>     read the quite lengthy mailing list discussions in the archive about
>     that topic to fully understand what was/is going on.
>
>     >
>     > Is there any explanation for the mentioned authentication tag?
>     >
>
>     I'm not an expert. Maybe Daniel knows more about this?
>
>     Greetings vv
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     Standards mailing list
>     Info: https://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
>     <https://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/standards>
>     Unsubscribe: [email protected]
>     <mailto:[email protected]>
>     _______________________________________________
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Standards mailing list
> Info: https://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
> Unsubscribe: [email protected]
> _______________________________________________

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
Info: https://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
Unsubscribe: [email protected]
_______________________________________________

Reply via email to