On Mittwoch, 27. September 2017 08:51:48 CEST Dave Cridland wrote:
> The rules on "two implementations" are, I believe, aimed to correspond
> to RFC 2026's Section 4.1.2, with the addition of licensing
> requirements.
>
> I'd note, in particular, the second paragraph:
>
>    The requirement for at least two independent and interoperable
>    implementations applies to all of the options and features of the
>    specification.  In cases in which one or more options or features
>    have not been demonstrated in at least two interoperable
>    implementations, the specification may advance to the Draft Standard
>    level only if those options or features are removed.
>
> This does not have procedural force in the XSF, however I think it's a
> sensible consideration - it makes little sense to include options not
> exercised.
>
> > 1. Yes Conversations supports SNI[1] and ALPN[2] where available.  These
> > are guaranteed to be in android 4.2 and 4.4 respectively, and *might* be
> > supported earlier depending on vendor.  According to the stats[3] this
> > means ~92% of androids currently in use support both.
>
> FWIW, XEP-0001 talks about implementations, rather than deployment,
> but this information is nevertheless useful, thanks.

aioxmpp as client library supports this XEP minus ALPN. If ALPN support in a
second client implementation is all it needs, I can probably fix that in a
week or so (I took a quick look, the TLS library supports it). I don’t have a
server to test against though, and thus it hasn’t been on my short list until
now.

> So we end up with:
>
> * ALPN seems to be a MAY for servers, and at most a SHOULD for clients
> (but probably a MAY).
> * SNI is a MUST for clients but a SHOULD for servers, noting that
> multiple certificates will necessitate SNI to be properly
> interoperable.
> * With these changes, anything supporting "legacy SSL", or "xmpps", is
> conformant on the server side for C2S - but none of these support SNI
> or ALPN.
> * We have one client implementation, supporting SNI and ALPN.
> * We have one S2S implementation, supporting SNI.
>
> On that basis, I don't *think* we can include S2S in Final,

We’re talking about Draft here, not Final. But I assume this is a typo?

> which is
> frustrating. We probably can include C2S, but with only one
> client-side implementation it's playing a little fast and loose, I
> think, and I'd much rather see SNI support server-side to feel
> satisfied that SNI is actually covered.

kind regards,
Jonas