Thanks again.
On 11 Oct 2017, at 18:14, Georg Lukas <ge...@op-co.de> wrote:
> 1. Resource identifiers in the JID
>
> Those are unique, so a server must either kill the old session or refuse
> the new session on conflict. IMO clients that create a randomized
> resource string on account setup, or keep the one initially assigned by
> the server, plus servers that kill the old session on a resource
> conflict provide a very sane and reasonable setup that works today.
>
> Pro: a client comes back with the same "public" identifier.

Well, it might, but the server is allowed to change it, so you can’t rely on it.

> Contra: not cloud-scale, because it requires a global lock when a client
> reconnects. However, a global lookup table is needed anyway to enumerate
> all resource of a client for presence / bare-JID routing.

It’s much easier to keep a global lookup table if you don’t have to deal with
conflicts because the identifiers are node-specific - that’s where the gain in
not needing the (effective) lock comes in here.

> 3. Double-Resourcepart proposed in the context of Bind 2
>
> Something like `<client-unique-id>/<server-generated-id>` as a
> resourcepart, where a stable client ID is combined with some
> cluster-node identifier from the server
> <https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2017-February/032089.html>
>
> Pro: cloud-scale.
>
> Contra: visible to people who are subscribed to you.
>
> Contra: client identifier changes when reconnecting to a different
> cluster node.

This is true, but does it matter? You can always look at the two resources and
see if they’re the same client, which solves the
often-works-but-can’t-be-relied-upon behaviour people currently want from
requested resources, while also satisfying the need to have servers able to
munge them.

> It might be useful to have a hidden or visible persistent client
> identity stored on the server and associated when authenticating /
> binding. Maybe even one the user can see and remove from the server's
> web interface ;)

This is true. I think split/resources solves it, but it’s desirable whatever
solution.

/K