> I don’t think this is true. We assume that servers implement those XEPs that
> are useful for their particular deployment needs. I think that specifying
> option (3) outside 313 would work fine, for example, and falls back
> gracefully to the default rules in 313 if we say they don’t return gc by
> default.

I wasn't aware that you were planning on changing what the user
archive returns on default.

If you want to change the XEP to basically say 'the server MAY store
everything' and then have 'retrieval profiles' or what ever you want
to call them i'm fine with that.
To me this just sounds like semantics as the end result (to me as a
client developer) is the same.

cheers
Daniel