On Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 10:13, Kozlov Konstantin wrote:
> Yes, this XEP has its disadvantages, but almos all of modern clients do
> implement it and there is no XEP right now, which can substitute it.

TL;DR — almost all of modern clients that implement it implement it in an
insecure manner (which is not the XEPs fault, but it is apparently hard for
developers to implement it correctly, especially in web clients in my
experience).

For most clients, https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0393.html serves as a good
enough replacement (especially when paired with
https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0066.html or
https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0385.html for media).
For clients where that is not good enough they won't drop XHTML-IM support over
night and we can have a discussion about how to support them if and when they
come forward.

—Sam