Hello!

07.03.2018, 19:55, "Sam Whited" <s...@samwhited.com>:

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 10:13, Kozlov Konstantin wrote:

 Yes, this XEP has its disadvantages, but almos all of modern clients do
 implement it and there is no XEP right now, which can substitute it.

TL;DR — almost all of modern clients that implement it implement it in an insecure manner (which is not the XEPs fault, but it is apparently hard for developers to implement it correctly, especially in web clients in my experience).

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I missed the discussions about security issues in XHTML-IM implementations. So, please give me the link to overview of such issues if it exists. As a devoleper of a client whish imlements the XEP, I wonder if my implementation also have such issues.

For most clients, https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0393.html serves as a good enough replacement (especially when paired with https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0066.html or https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0385.html for media).
For clients where that is not good enough they won't drop XHTML-IM support over night and we can have a discussion about how to support them if and when they come forward.

As for XEP-0393, as I said before, it's really interesting but it has some weak points and I guess we need to start discussing the way fill the gaps, before a lot of implementations appeared.
The most important things IMHO is lack of links and embedded images. You may attach links to message with XEP-0066, but thats not it. Sometimes it's much better when parts if text are clickable, so the message is not overloaded with redundant information.
About embedded images... As a developer of an XMPP client, I have some UX of my app for some years and according to it, 90% of using XHTML-IM is embedding images into messages. Of course, XEP-0385 allows to send an image in a separate message, but embedding images into text is more flexible and allows user to compose more fancy messages to express their ideas better.
And the second weak point is duplicated markers in lists. I'm sure extra markers should be removed anyhow.

I have some ideas how to develop XEP-0393 to implement embedded images and links and how to remove markers from the list. If anyone's interested, let's discuss them.

With my best regards,
Konstantin