On Thu 15 Mar 2018 at 18:40 Ненахов Андрей <andrew.nenak...@redsolution.ru>
wrote:

> > > However, user always knows that if he styles text using markdown,
> > > it'll always be presented in rich text form.
> >
> > This is emphatically not true.
> >
> > A useful reason to use Markdown is to keep it human readable.
>
> It will be readable by you, ok. You enable markdown for incoming
> texts, have great time chatting with your pals, emphasis, underscores
> and stuff, yay!
> Now someone else sends you contents of config file. It is processed
> with markdown. Oops.

Different problem, solvable by protocol level indicator that text should be
processed as markdown in the first place, and client-side controls whether
to include or honor the enablement tag.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I am not advocating for inclusion of
Markdown, just for the decision to be made for the right reasons.

> All in all, we won't implement it in our clients, no way. In my
> opinion old XEP-0071 was better, though some clients (pidgin did it a
> lot, as far as i remember) did put formatted text in plaintext body,
> but it's client's fault, not XEPs.

Poor implementation of support for Markdown-formatted messages would also
be a client’s fault.

And lack of support in a client is also a valid outcome of open client
choice.