>> Now someone else sends you contents of config file. It is processed
>> with markdown. Oops.
> Different problem, solvable by protocol level indicator that text should be
> processed as markdown in the first place, and client-side controls whether
> to include or honor the enablement tag.

All right, so sender now has to somehow enable or disable markdown
processing before sending text, effectively cancelling the only real
advantage markdown has over any other rich text editor - capability to
format text right in plain textfield. Congratulations.

Bottom line is: if you want to give user rich text editing
capabilities, fine, XHMTL, whatever suits. Just make a plaintext copy
so non-supporting client would still get content of a message without
fancy stuff.
But why would someone employ a text format like markdown for that task
is beyond me. It's not really good for rich editors, and making users
switch modes on plaintext editors is a very bad UX.

btw, I'm new here, what were the reasons for deprecating XEP-0071 ?

--
Ненахов Андрей
Директор ООО "Редсолюшн" (Челябинск)