Hello!

21.03.2018, 14:32, "Christian Schudt" <christian.sch...@gmx.de>:

Maybe you are right. It was just a guess, because someone asked for the purpose of 0066.
Because the uploaded file is persistent (at least for some time), I concluded that the purpose is for offline file transfer.

Maybe the intention was to use jabber:iq:oob, in case the recipient is online and fallback to jabber:x:oob, if the recipient is offline.

Clearly the intention was to have a basic file transfer mechanism, this is what it says for jabber:iq:oob.

About using jabber:iq:oob for file transfer...

I don't see any XEP which describes of full procedure of file transfer using OOB.
But XEP-0095: Stream Initiation has mention of using OOB as stream method.
I guess, this method never used before, just because there were no way get an URL of a file to transfer. But now we have XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload, which allows to upload a file to a HTTP server and get its URL.
I think we need an Informational (or maybe Standards Track?) XEP, which describes such way of file transfer, using XEP-0096: SI File Transfer (deprecated) and XEP-0324: Jingle File Transfer (recommended) as file transfer application, XEP-0066: Out of Band Data as stream method and XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload as supplementary XEP for file uploading.

With my best regards,
Konstantin