If this is about local law I don’t think a delete function will do that justice.
· Clients might not implement the delete part of the XEP and as a
service provider I can not solely rely on my users using the right
client. Therefor I will have to offer a stand alone delete
functionality on my website or over customer support anyway.
· Clients might no longer have a reference to a file anyway. (The
sending client might have been uninstalled, local history might have
been cleared etc etc). Therefor I believe once we go down the rabbit
hole of deleting files we will probably need an list/index operation
as well.

Since a simple delete won’t do local law justice anyway we should
think about whether or not we want to have delete in this XEP
independently of local law.

I haven't seen a lot of requests for file deletion from client (or
server) developers yet. So I don’t think there will be a strong demand
that justifies the KISS approach of this XEP. Furthermore HTTP File
deletion - just like individual MAM message deletion - can - if there
is in fact a demand - easily go into it's own XEP.

cheers
Daniel