On 12.07.2018 12:39, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2018, at 11:23, Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So you don't want MAM users to be able to efficiently sync archives with
>>> multiple holes by a simple change because you do not want MAM to be used
>>> in scenarios where this could happen?
>>
>> Just adding this flag will not make servers implement it, so it's
>> going to add code and still need a fallback.
>
> And, as specified (optional but with no default or meaning for a missing
> flag) it seems unhelpful

As Georg mentioned yesterday, the default is exact="maybe". There is
also a sentence explaining the semantic of the missing hint:

https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/672/files#diff-fd691aeb84210578723b940e9881ab7eR200

> and as it adds a SHOULD, in a Draft XEP, with no namespace bump or
> discovery, it’s adding ambiguity and confusion..

I don't think that this is true, but we certainly can talk about making
it just a recommendation if it is a blocker.

- Florian