On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 02:06:20PM +0200, Daniel Gultsch wrote:
> This is meant for MUC presence. Servers don't necessarily track muc joins
> or other directed presences.

This is wrong, XEP-0045 notes that RFC6121 mandates that a server would
broadcast an unavailable presence to all previous directed presence
targets, this means the server MUST track them:

Normal presence stanza generation rules apply as defined in XMPP IM
[23], so that if the user sends a general unavailable presence stanza,
the user's server will broadcast that stanza to the client's
<room@service/nick>; as a result, there is no need for the leaving
client to send directed unavailable presence to its occupant JID. It is
possible that a user might not be able to gracefully exit the room by
sending unavailable presence. If the user goes offline without sending
unavailable presence, the user's server is responsible for sending
unavailable presence on behalf of the user (in accordance with RFC
6121).

> The hint in the xep is meant for clients that might support this (sending
> directed presence after receiving a pep node update) but servers that
> don't. So there might be code in the client sending this but it should be
> wrapped by a check if the server will support it. If that makes sense...

I don’t see the benefit of doing that in the client, it only adds
complexity and potentially a lot of bandwidth, while it could instead be
made mandatory in the server.

--
Emmanuel Gil Peyrot