On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 15:21, Jonas Schäfer <jo...@wielicki.name> wrote:

> The XEP Editor would like to Call for Experience with XEP-0198 before
> presenting it to the Council for advancing it to Final status.
>

> During the Call for Experience, please answer the following questions:
>
> 1. What software has XEP-0198 implemented? Please note that the
> protocol must be implemented in at least two separate codebases (at
> least one of which must be free or open-source software) in order to
> advance from Draft to Final.

I believe that the implementation in Openfire (Apache-licensed, by
Jonny Heavey and Guus with broken bits by me) is complete.

I have implemented non-resuming variants in a number of places, these are
less interesting but perfectly functional.

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in XEP-0198? If so, please describe the problems and, if
> possible, suggested solutions.

The hard bits turn out to be simple, and the simple bits turn out to be
very hard indeed.

The hard bits are things like resumption, which is usually simpler than
expected even in existing architectures. The simple bits include counting,
which one would think would be trivial but always seems beset by
"interesting" edge cases in older software.

I have used a "debug mode" at times which injects additional stanza-level
attributes with the counters in; nothing that can be standardized easily
but really helpful.

> 3. Is the text of XEP-0198 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
> needed? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate?
> Have developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

I have noted elsewhere that there exist implementations which deliberately
resume sessions on a different transport to that used to establish them;
this is not covered explicitly by the specification. It is unclear whether
it needs to be.