The year I revamped the compliance suites I went to a presentation at
FOSDEM where the Telepathy folks (I think? Might have been libpurple)
were discussing adding features to make themselves compatible.

I don't think anyone advertises support, but we haven't given them a way
to do so. End users don't care about the compliance suites, but they
might care about a "compatible with other things that also have this
badge" badge.

On the other hand, though my evidence is entirely anecdotal and just
from seeing presentations and getting emails, client developers do seem
to care. The compatibility suites, even without us pushing them or
advertising them heavily, have advanced the state of the art and gotten
people to implement XEPs they otherwise wouldn't.

—Sam