On Tue, 7 Sept 2021 at 16:23, Georg Lukas <ge...@op-co.de> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> given that XEP-0313 is up for recall in tomorrow's Council meeting, I'd
> like to sort my long list of issues into blocking and non-blocking.
> Fixing the blocking ones is a requirement for me to change my vote to
> something different than -1.
>
> Two blocking (non-Editorial) issues:
>
> * Georg Lukas <ge...@op-co.de> [2021-03-31 18:50]:
> > Time and again, specifications that use Message Forwarding have
> > fallen victim to impersonation attacks (there is a number of CVEs
> > around, like CVE-2017-5589, CVE-2019-16235, and CVE-2020-26547).
> >
> > The XEP urgently needs a respective section in the Security
> > Considerations, and ideally also a negative example like
> > https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0280.html#example-11
>
> I'd also copy&paste a bunch of <cve/> elements from XEP-0280, in
> addition to the above text.

I can agree with this in principle, though the query id within MAM
queries dramatically lessens the scope for an attack here.

> > §6.1.1: the business rules for user archives are inadequate:
> >
> > MUC messages in user archive: I think that implementation practice has
> > clearly shown that storing MUC messages in the user archive is a Bad
> > Idea, and nobody is doing it anyway. Also the server is probably not in
> > a position to track a user's MUC activity and query all MUCs for whether
> > they implement some sort of message storage. This part should be
> > converted into "SHOULD NOT" or "MUST NOT".
>
> After some discussion it was suggested to change the scope of this from
> "should not store" to "should not return by default", which is also fine
> with me.

I'm unconvinced that trying to "fix" XEP-0045's various deficiencies is a
useful use of what energy we have.

For persistent groupchat protocols (MUC-SUB, Muclight, MIX) storing
groupchat messages in the personal archive is very useful indeed. This is
particularly the case for client implementations that operate in a "low
cache" mode, including (but not limited to) web clients.

For XEP-0045, it's complicated, sometimes entirely undesirable, and
sometimes very useful, and usually weird.

How would a "if you didn't specify, we won't either" model go with you?
That is, we add a flag in the query to specify whether or not
groupchat messages are included, but we explicitly do not include a default
value.