On Tue, 27 Sept 2022 at 11:36, Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sept 2022 at 09:59, Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 27 Sep 2022, 09:46 Dave Cridland, <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
> I'd not considered web clients - can they not obtain the server certificate
> at all, even these days?

I'm not aware of any method to do so (which is certainly a shame).

> - I'd assumed that all clients could use tls-server-end-point fairly easily.
> If that's not the case for web clients, that's clearly a problem.
> - As a client, it's impossible to tell whether a server is validating the
> channel binding data or simply blindly accepting it anyway.
> - Ideally, even with TLS termination before the XMPP server, the XMPP server
> can discover or be configured with its TLS certificate so it can verify that.

Sure, in Prosody we default to the configured certificate but allow
manually providing a hash to allow for setups where TLS is handled
externally.

> - I seem to remember that HT-* derives a lot of its replay protection from
> the channel binding, so we may want to have *something* there.

What is the attack scenario here? Someone compromised TLS?

>> Unless I'm misunderstanding your proposal.
>
> Well, my proposal is to think about it a bit before we commit, so maybe
> you're unwittingly accepting it anyway?

I propose to consider that you might be right.

Regards,
Matthew