Hi Daniel

Thanks for bringing this up again. This was also the feedback when the XEP was reviewed by council about 2 (!) years ago.

As one of the XEP authors, I've gone ahead and made a PR with the change.
https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/1270

The next XEP, 0425 'Message Moderation' is related and similar and also relies on fastenings. I'll look into remove them there as well.

Regards
JC