On 25.02.23 11:05, Marvin W wrote:
On Sat, 2023-02-25 at 10:50 +0100, Florian Schmaus wrote:
However, it is still unclear to me how changing the RFC 'id'
attribute
specification from "must be unique within the scope of the stream id"
"must be globally unique, for example by using UUID" solves much we
discussed in this thread.

It would just solve the "how to reference a stanza in a 1:1 chat"
problem. But with a questionable backwards interoperability story.
Therefore -- but please consider that I am biased here -- origin-id
feels like the better solution.

Can you explain why you think that origin-id serves *any* purpose other
than providing an id that should be globally unique, which would
already be covered if it was a requirement in the RFC? Many clients
that send an origin-id already put the very same value in it that they
also put in the id-attribute. And I even hear voices that this should
be mandated in XEP-0359.

I did not doubt that.

What I tried to express is that changing the semantics of the RFC 'id' attribute in a new RFC is not a viable solution. Simply because you still need to operate with older implementations that do not follow the newer RFC. Hence I believe adding this via origin-id is better.

Also it is my feeling that origin-id is very much questioned as a
concept, its only use today seems to be to detect/associate reflections
in MUCs that don't do #stable-id and some of those also don't reflect
the origin-id, making it even not always suitable for that purpose.

That is true. However, this discussion made me realize that origin-id may be a necessity to reference stanzas in 1:1 chats.

- Flow