On 25.02.23 10:57, Marvin W wrote:
On Sat, 2023-02-25 at 10:39 +0100, Florian Schmaus wrote:
As I wrote before, if, for example, the recipient's server also
stores
groupchat messages in the user's archive, then the recipient will
receive a groupchat message containing (at least) two stanza-id
elements:
- one added by the groupchat, with the ID under which the stanza was
    stored in the groupchat's archive
- one added by the recipient's server, with the ID under which the
    stanza was stored in receiving user's archive

If non-authoritative, intermediary archives exist, they may want to
archive the message under a different id than the "one and only"
message stanza id in the id-attribute and in that case they could add
an <archived by=archive-jid id=any /> element or something, making
clear that this is not an id of the stanza, but merely the id the
message is archived under in the given archive. The same <archived/>
element could even be used in reply by your local server and in carbons
to tell the client which id is used for archiving the message in the
local archive.

I know that we currently use <stanza-id/> for that, but that doesn't
really convey the semantic of that being the id for the archive entry
and rather gives the feeling that this id is an id for the stanza - and
right now we even do give it extra meaning outside being an archive id
in the MUC context.

I would hope that xep359 makes it clear that IDs found in stanza-id are the IDs an entity gave to the given stanza. If not, then we should improve upon this. After all, stanza-id originated exactly from what you describe with "<archived by…".

> "…this id is an id for the stanza…"

It certainly is. But your mindset appears to be that a single stanza can have only at most one ID. However, messages (or stanzas in general), can have multiple IDs, assigned by different entities. True, the stanzas may not be exactly equivalent in each archive, simply because hops may add additional extension elements to them (or modify existent). But from a pragmatic point of view they are the same stanza.

- Flow