Andrew Black wrote:
Greetings all.

On Friday, Martin performed a fairly major merge from trunk to
branches/4.2.0.  The current results of this merge from nightly testing
can be found at http://people.apache.org/~ablack/4.2.0-rc5 .  A handful

Just a correction for those who haven't been able to get the link
to work -- the working link has a dash before the '5':
http://people.apache.org/~ablack/4.2.0-rc-5

of the platforms in the list (hpux-11.23-ia64, hpux-11.31-pa,
irix-6.5-mips, solaris-10-sparc) don't have -rc5 results, either because
the hardware used in the testing is offline (hpux-11.31-pa and
irix-6.5-mips), or processing other requests (hpux-11.23-ia64 and
solaris-10-sparc).

The question I have is whether it makes sense to tag branches/4.2.0 as
of r580483 (Martin's integration) as tags/4.2.0-rc-5, or whether it
makes more sense to include the changes which were merged today as part
of the 4.2.0-rc-5 tag.  I would argue for the former,

I don't know the full set of changes that were made on the branch
today so I tend to agree. I'd rather us err on the side of caution
and tag the changes that we already have a comprehensive set of
results for. It's likely there will be another tag after -rc-5
in any case so we won't be creating more work for ourselves by
not including these changes in the -rc-5 tag.

Martin

in part because I
have some results from running the tests and examples under Rational
PurifyPlus 7.0 ( http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/purifyplus/ )
which I plan to post shortly.  This build was made using trunk at
r580086 plus part of the patch attached to STDCXX-573.  SVN trunk at
r580086 should be identical to branches/4.2.0 at r580483, assuming the
merge ran correctly.

Opinions, please?

--Andrew Black