Travis Vitek wrote:

Martin Sebor wrote:
Travis Vitek wrote:

Martin Sebor wrote:
Travis Vitek wrote:
Martin Sebor wrote:
I added a new function, rw_fnmatch(), to the test driver. It behaves
just
like the POSIX fnmatch() (the FNM_XXX constants aren't implemented
yet). While the main purpose behind the new function is to support
STDCXX-683 it should make it easier to also implement a scheme like
the one outlined below.

Travis, feel free to experiment/prototype a solution :)

Martin

What expression should be used to get an appropriate set of locales for
given platform? I can't really expect a filter for all UTF-8 locales to
work
on all platforms as some don't have those encodings available at all.
If
filter by language, then I may be limiting the testing to some always
correct subset. Is that acceptable for the MT tests?
I think the MT ctype tests just need to exercise a representative
sample of multi-byte encodings (i.e., MB_CUR_MAX between 1 and
MB_LEN_MAX). There already is some code in the test suite to find
locales that use these encodings, although it could be made more
efficient. I don't know how useful rw_fnmatch() will turn out to
be in finding these codesets since their names don't matter.

Martin

Travis

Actually, I think I meant to say single threaded tests. Those are the
ones
that currently test every locale. The multi-threadede tests already test
subset of locales, though the method for selecting those locales may vary
between tests.

I don't think it is right to test a fixed set of locales based on
language,
country, or encoding. If you agree, then we probably agree that the
proposed
enhancement doesn't actually do anything useful [and I've wasted a bunch
of
time]. If this is the case, then we need to propose another solution for
selecting locales.
I think testing a small subset of installed locales should be enough.
In fact, for white box testing of the ctype facets, exercising three
locales, "C" and two named ones, should be sufficient.

If I am wrong, and it is useful for testing [and more specifically how it
would be useful for fixing STDCXX-608], then I'd like to hear how.
What do you propose?

Martin

Okay. I can live with that. Then the issue now becomes deciding which
additional locales to test. How about just testing all Spanish and German
locales?

I'd make sure at least one of them uses a multibyte encoding. Maybe
zh_CN.GB18030? (with MB_CUR_MAX of 4)?

Martin