From: Downwithcapitalism <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 12:32 AM
Subject: [downwithcapitalism] Vieques struggle intensifies

Associated Press. 17 June 2001. Activists Step Up Vieques Protests.

VIEQUES -- Anti-Navy activists stepped up protests Sunday, with more
than 30 demonstrators reportedly invading a firing range on the eve of a
new round of bombing exercises on Vieques Island.

Emboldened by President Bush's announcement last week that the Navy
would leave the Puerto Rican island in two years, protesters said they
would be satisfied only with the Navy's immediate withdrawal.

The demonstrators who entered the range hoped their presence would force
a delay of bombing runs scheduled Monday, said Maria Velazquez, a leader
of the activist Mount Carmelo community at the edge of government land.<

"We helped cut the fence and put them through," Velazquez said. "They
have water, food, flares. They're prepared to stay for as long as it
takes."

Navy spokeswoman Lt. Cmdr. Katherine Goode said security officers were
searching the rugged range for trespassers. Navy jets from the USS
Theodore Roosevelt were to begin dropping non-explosive bombs Monday
morning, she said.

"Bush's decision shows that our civil disobedience campaigns have been
effective," said Jose Paralitici, spokesman for the group All Puerto
Rico With Vieques. "We have to keep it up. You don't stop rowing a boat
when you're almost to the shore."