STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

Saturday, June 30, 2001

To All Friends and Supporters of Lori Berenson

WE’RE BACK AND THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES

  After living in Lima since March 13, we returned
home on Monday June 25.  We held a Press Conference,
attended a large rally at the Peruvian Consulate in
New York City, and left for Washington DC.

  One of our last meetings in Peru was with
President-elect Alejandro Toledo.  He expressed his
sympathy for us as parents but said he could not
interfere with the judicial process that is still
continuing in the appeals stage.

  We are very grateful and honored that Dr. Toledo
took the time from his busy schedule to meet with us.
We wish him and all Peruvians well as they move toward
democracy.  Our struggle and Lori’s struggle is not
with him and not with the Peruvian people --­ it is
a struggle for justice which is impossible while the
Fujimori-Montesinos anti-terrorism laws are still
enforced in a judicial system that must be overhauled.

PRESIDENT BUSH AND SECRETARY OF STATE POWELL SPEAK
UP FOR LORI

  We were very pleased to learn that when Dr. Toledo
met with officials this past week in Washington DC
everyone he met with prominently raised Lori’s case.
In separate meetings, President Bush urged
humanitarian considerations and Secretary of State
Powell emphasized the high priority and concern the
US government places on this issue.  When Dr. Toledo
visited Congress, members of both houses urged
Lori’s release.  We learned in particular of
conversations of Senator Dodd (CT), and
Representatives Gilman (NY) and Lantos (CA) with Dr.
Toledo.  Other Senators and Representatives have sent
letters to Peru expressing their concern.

  On Thursday, June 28, Representative Maloney (NY)
sponsored a Congressional Briefing on the Lori
Berenson Case.  Representatives Hinchey (NY), Holt
(NJ), Lantos (CA), Scarborough (FL) and Waters (CA)
spoke and Representative McGovern (MA) sent a note
of support for Lori’s release.

URGENT ACTION

  A “Dear Colleague” letter is presently circulating
in the House of Representatives calling upon Interim
President Valentin Paniagua to pardon Lori before he
leaves office on July 28.  Please call and urge your
Congressional Representative to sign onto this
letter immediately.   (See website
http://www.freelori.org for more information).  Time
is of the essence.

LORI REMAINS STRONG

  We saw Lori on Saturday and Sunday before leaving
Peru.  Like us, she was disappointed in the verdict
but not surprised.  In an interview with Rachel Hays
of Newsweek Lori said she is guilty only of
maintaining her beliefs and ideas, but not for
committing any acts.

  We are immensely proud of Lori --­ she was a symbol
of grace and dignity as she stood before the
microphone, politely responding to questions from the
court and/or speaking to the nation in a calm,
coherent manner for nearly 26 and a half hours over
the 33 public sessions.  Following the unjust sentence
Lori stoically remarked that she is innocent, the
sentence is wrong, and that she will file an appeal.

  Lori sends a special note of thanks to the
ecumenical delegation that visited her and attended
the final day of the trial and we are very grateful
for their presence and comfort following the unjust
verdict. To Father Bill Bicshel, Rabbi Steven Jacobs,
Rev. James Lawson, and Rev. Dr. William Nottingham ­
many, many thanks!

THE TRIAL CONTINUES

  Lori and her lawyer, Jose Luis Sandoval, are
preparing materials for the appeal.  It will be filed
this week. At some point Mr. Sandoval will be asked to
present a 20-minute oral argument, as will the State
Prosecutor Mario Cavagnaro.  Lori will not appear
before the court.  We’ve heard that this process could
take from one to six months before a decision is
rendered.  We don’t hold great hopes because the
president of this appeals court has already told the
press he thought the trial was fair and that the
verdict was just ­before the arguments on Lori’s
behalf have been filed!!!

AFTERMATH OF PERUVIAN EARTHQUAKE

  On Saturday June 23, a major earthquake struck
southern Peru, causing over 100 fatalities,
thousands of injuries, and damage to over 70 percent
of homes and buildings.  In the beautiful city of
Arequipa, which we visited frequently when Lori was
incarcerated for nearly two years in Socabaya Prison,
the Cathedral built in the early part of the 17th
century and the Santa Catalina monastery functioning
since the 16th century were badly damaged.  We felt
the earthquake in Lima, 500 hundred miles away from
the epicenter.

  Our hearts go out to the people of southern Peru.
Lori hopes the community of nations will generously
provide necessary relief.

CAPTURE OF VLADIMIRO MONTESINOS

  With the capture of former spy chief and former
CIA asset Vladimiro Montesinos in Venezuela last
Sunday, only the disgraced ex-President Alberto
Fujimori remains at large, hiding like a coward in
Japan, and wanted for illegal enrichment and human
rights violations.  Montesinos, who many believe was
the real power in the Fujimori government, is to be
tried on numerous charges that may range from illegal
enrichment to murder.

THANK YOU

  We would like to thank all those who planned or
attended the many rallies for Lori around the
country, wrote letters to their local newspapers, or
in other ways supported Lori and us at this crucial
time.

Rhoda and Mark Berenson
Website:  http://www.freelori.org