said that I think this is an interesting piece that shows what the neoliberal
technocrats and international financiers outside of Bulgaria want to see
happen in that country.]

In a message dated 16/07/01 13:48:04 Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Subj:     An Update on Bulgaria
 Date:  16/07/01 13:48:04 Eastern Daylight Time
 From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (IntelliNews Internet Securities)
 To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ('[EMAIL PROTECTED]')

 The new government of Bulgaria will be publicly announced this Sunday at
 16.00 Sofia time. Most likely the government will consist of
 representatives of National Movement Simeon II and the Movement for Rights
 and Freedoms. After several weeks of fruitless negotiations the UDF
 announced today it will not participate in a coalition government that
 includes any other partners than NMSII, thus basically announcing its
 decision to stay in opposition.

 Intellinews has always insisted the chance of the UDF joining the
 government is close to zero. Such participation would be suicidal for the
 political identity of the UDF, and we consider the decision of the UDF's
 leadership as correct: otherwise the UDF would be on its way to becoming
 what the Peoples Union is now- a small and unimportant coalition partner.

 The BSP has never been invited to coalition talks, and correct so. The
 people have voted for Simeon, and we can only wonder why it took 4 weeks to
 come to such an obvious solution : a NMSII- MRF government, with Simeon
 Saxe-Coburg as prime minister.

 Tens of rumours on who will be the future ministers go around Sofia,
 partially due to the total intransparency of the process of selecting
 ministers. We believe the most important positions in the economic team
 will be taken by the London group, which even though inexperienced has
 clean hands and should be given a fair chance. We remain skeptical though
 about the possible participation of recycled politicians in the next
 government, i.e. Stoyan Ganev, Maxim Dimov or Emil Koshlukov.

 Our sources say the Peoples Union has been offered ministerial positions
 but did not dare to leave the coalition with the UDF. (more specifically,
 rumours say the current minsiter of telecomunications and member of the
 Peoples Union Slavinski has been asked to stay)

 We consider the biggest challenges in front of NMSII as follows:
 1. Keep deputy ministers and department chiefs to avoid boycott of the
 public administration to the new government.
 2. Ensure the loyalty of all members of the parliamentary group: not an
 easy
 task bearing in mind the tough political decisions ahead.
 3. Ensure a working partnership with the BSP and the UDF to avoid
 destructive opposition on their side.

 Intellinews will keep our clients updated throughout the process. Please
 send your queries to [EMAIL PROTECTED]