On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 03:49:40PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 09:53:32AM +0000, Markus Kovero wrote:
> >

> > > The current backplane does not have SES. However, I am getting a new one.
> > > The brochure says that it supports SES2.
> > > Does SES-2 support a mechanism to blink LEDs?
> >
> > In theory, its whole different story if your controller knows how to
> > control them, or if you are able to control them from Solaris.
> > eg. Dell MD1000 is SES enabled JBOD, but if its connected to SAS 5e/6e
> > basic sas-controller which does not control leds at all, you can blink leds
> > with proprietary software, but you don't have any information on which disk
> > is in which slot.. (enclosure does not share it's NAA identifiers from
> > disks)
> >

> Yep, if the enclosure provides all the required information through SES,
> then it's possible to to blink/lid the LEDs etc from the OS.
>
> I think FMA does this automatically in the case of disk failure if the
> enclosure
> is properly using/providing SES?

Just to write some kind of summary:

- For an automatic "blink-led-on-disk-failure" the SES management processor
needs to provide disk identification information, so the actual disk error
can be mapped to specific SES slot.
- And when that works tools like FMA can automatically blink the LED
through SES when they know "disk id xyz is in slot 3".

You can also manually control the LEDs through the SES:
- By using an utility provided by the HBA vendor.
- Or by using generic tools like sdparm, which afaik allow you to control LEDs
through SES.

-- Pasi