To say that I'm keenly disappointed in the decisions of my otherwise close -
and progressive - friends, Jeanne Weigum and Tom Goldstein would be the
understatement of a generation.

Since both of these people have had fairly intimate contact with the law and
the judiciary over several years, they should also know that the complaints
Jeanne raises could have a thousand reasons behind them having nothing to do
with Judge Fetsch's competence to remain on the bench. Rather than rushing
to judgment on a single case experience, it would behoove anyone voting for
this seat to examine the complete record and talk with people who must deal
with the judge every day and on a regular basis.

Jeanne recalls that when he had time to digest briefs and other evidence in
the MPAAT case, and with proper facts in in mind, Michael Fetsch ruled in
favor of her organization. What conditions were present for the initial
ruling and the delay are something he should be queried about, but anyone
familiar with the justice system understands the docket load, the short time
judges have in considering the merits around temporary restraining orders
and the competing arguments which a judge must consider quickly within an
otherwise overwhelming docket load.

It's possible for instance, that he was concerned that the merits would
eventually preclude MPAAT expenditures of state-stewarded tobacco settlement
funds for seeking local smoking bans in Minnesota cities rather than using
them for pure educational materials and events and in lieu of a full trial
on those merits, felt the need to cease all activity until that trial could
be held. These are technical legal issues and procedures a judge must
consider that parties to a process can almost never remain objective about.

As for the timing, no one should no better than those of us who have wanted
immediate action from a glacial system of justice to prevent closing or
expedite closings, etc. etc.

Tom is a lawyer and should know better. Jeanne's been through this dozens of
times.  We both have. A judge may be powerful, but even Mohammed can't move
the mountain in disputes where millions of dollars and wildly competing
agendas are at play for the money.

But if this case is going to be used as a symbolic reason not to reelect
Michael Fetsch, then I consider such judgment highly irresponsible for their
lack of solid political foundation.

Fetsch will probably cringe at this, but in all the 60 years I've known him,
no man could be more feminist, no lawyer more attuned to the underdog, no
near-priest could be as compassionate and no judge could be more competent
and fair as Michael Fetsch.

Before he was a judge, Mike was a solid progressive, but always listened to
all sides concerned. He is a mature, reasonable, knowledgeable and
experienced jurist and if someone has evidence to the contrary, I want more
facts than Ms. Sifferle has given us through her veiled negative comments
that weren't going to be  negative. And I surely want more evidence than
Jeanne Weigum has supplied that what she experienced as a party - or
interested friend of the party - to a case in which she had a passionate
personal and professional interest. To unseat a sitting jurist of this man's
stature requires patterns of incompetence and unfairness and laziness and
whatever else one wishes to cite as reason for pushing him off the bench.

Furthermore - what possible qualifications have we seen to commend Patricia
Sifferle as his replacement? None that I can see, except her own words as
being what every judge should be.

Can you tell I'm voting to retain Mike Fetsch on the district court? Can you
tell I'm very concerned that the criteria being used to unseat him are weak
and unconvincing?

Andy Driscoll
Crocus Hill/Ward 2
------