Absolutely, there are many ways to implement pure HTTP backends with
Stripes. The verbs are not mandatory, you can stick to GET and POST it
works just fine. I never understood why everyone went that crazy with PUT
and DELETE. I think that Stripes shines at HTTP services implementation
(binding etc).

Many people have baked their own framework for that and are happy with it.

In Woko (Stripes based, with 'RPC' support) you'd just do :
GET /view/Product/123?isRpc=true => JSON product
POST /save/Product/123?isRpc=true&object.price=10 => updates product and
returns JSON
POST /delete/Product/123?isRpc=true&confirm
and so forth... (remove the isRpc param, and you get the HTML version for
humans :P).

As for the client side, you can also provide a more "explicit" API that
encapsulates your HTTP calls, so that the user doesn't even know what's
going on under the hood :

myApiClient.loadProduct("123", function(p) { ... });

with :

myApiClient.loadProduct = function(id, callback) {
  $.get('/product/123', function(p) {
    callback.apply(this, [p]);
  }
};

It's also a good place to factor out your client-side validation, error
handling code and other stuff.

HTH

Rémi