How about leaving it up to the developer who uses the attribute?... we
can warn them about it. But let's leave it to them.

Why should this group decide if a developer with different requirements
/ demands etc has the ability to add something to a tag?

It's valuable to have it there simply for the anything unforeseen.
Including allowing a developer to create a page for a specific browser,
right down to a very specific one they hacked from an open source
project for use in a custom data kiosk or something.

Is there a plan to *enforce* Xhtml?... It's currently an "option", but
why don't we just enforce it. It's a w3C spec.
I get browser specific requests for things all the time, but can I ever
turn back to my project manager and say that it can't be done because
it's not in a W3C recommendation.

I work for a large multinational, and have to support browsers 4+. Many
large companies do, and there's no reason at all why it can't be done.
Many of these older browsers have little properties that have to be used
to get them to do what it is that you need them to do.

eg. to get rid of the white space around your html layout for 4+ browsers...
rightmargin="0">

Which ones are W3C?... But I have to do it because my business manager
signed off on a document that was generated by a graphic designer in
another department. Struts doesn't have a html:body tag... and just as well.

Is struts meant to be an adaptable tool for reality?...

Otherwise... I vote to have the project name changed to "Struts - a W3C
explicit implementation". [+1]
Almost being restrictive for the sake of it. There's no burden to bare,
just a few lines of code that never have to be touched, just frisbee
that little attribute... and just maybe it'll allow someone to do
something they need to do.

Arron.

* (Something tells me I'm going to stay out of things like this in the
future).