I don't know if this is a bug or not.  Even if it is, it might be awkward to
change the behavior that I'm seeing.

The method "MessageResources.messageKey(Locale locale, String key)" returns a
message key with the locale key concatenated with the key, with a "." between.

If the locale string is the empty string, the returned message key begins with
".".  For instance, calling 'messageKey(".", "foo")' returns ".foo".  Is this
really intended?  I would think it would be more natural to not have the
leading period if the locale string was empty.

I noticed this while building unit tests for the Struts-EL "errors" tag, as I
wrote a "HashMapMessageResources" class (with a "getMessage()" method
essentially identical to "PropertyMessageResources"), so I can easily store
test resources in memory, as opposed to using an external file.  I had an error
tag of "error.misc", but in order to get this to work, I had to store a key of
".error.misc" in my MessageResources.