On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, James Mitchell wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:11:49 -0400
> From: James Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [Resources] XMLMessageResources and Proposal
>
> That's exactly what I want to know.
>
> Whether this is needed.

One reason in favor of XML format here is that you might be able to
leverage XML data to create more than one artifact -- much the way that
Struts uses the same XML documents to produce both documentation and TLDs
for its tag libraries.  In the case of message resources, it is common on
large scale applications for the user documentation to include message
catalogs of all the possible error messages and what they mean.  Do *you*
really want to have to type all those messages in more than once?  Or
could I use the same source document to produce both the end user docs and
the message resources file for the webapp?

Earlier, we had discussed and agreed to converting Struts 1.1 to use
commons-resources (and make the existing MessageResources classes wrappers
around it, for backwards compatibility).  I'm still +1 on this, and +1 for
including both XML and DB based implementations in commons-resources.

> James Mitchell
> Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
> http://www.open-tools.org

Craig McClanahan