Ok, here's a more practical reason to do it in the base release...

The Struts-EL package doesn't handle the indexed tag at all, it relies
on the fact that it extends the org.apache.struts.taglib.html versions
of the tags which in turn eventually extend BaseHandlerTag.  So, to
implement it in Struts-EL, I'll have to more prepareIndex all the way up
into the Struts-EL class (duplicated the code or wrapping it), and
change all the Struts-EL classes to extend that class instead.  This
means implementing several dozen new classes in Struts-EL to avoid
extending one method in the base Struts release.

James