--- Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Gastin wrote:
>  > As I can tell from the list I have opened topic that is pretty well
>  > beaten. Let me first apologize.  I did not realize this was such a
>  > political topic in the Struts community.
>
> There was a time when we were encouraging people to use the JSTL, and
> there was a political bent to some of the encouragement. We were
> concerned that the popularity of the Struts tags would cause a schism
> and slow the adoption of a new JCP standard. The Apache Software
> Foundation and Struts have always been ardent supporters of standards,
> and so we did not want to further the Struts tags at the expense of the
> JSTL.

That has never been why I've promoted the JSTL over Struts and I really
never considered that reason until now.  I just really like the JSTL tags.

> However, at this time, we have a Struts-el taglib in circulation. We
> even have a Struts-faces taglib in the wings. We've definately reached
> the point where the JSTL has to sink or swim on its own. If the
> Community wants to use the tags, then we are bound to facilitate that
> any way we can. Standards are essential, but community-building is the
> Apache prime directive, and a large segment of our community is still
> locked out of the JCP JSTL standard.

It would be neat to build tags that extend JSTL functionality to fill in
gaps left by the standard.  Let the JSTL do the heavy lifting and add on
as necessary.

David