On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:52:03 -0800 (PST), Martin Cooper wrote:
> So, there are pros and cons both ways, of course. Now we just need
> to make a decision and move on it. ;-)

The consensus seems to be to use a single module with top-level-directories
representing each subproject, so lets move forward with that.

So I believe we're talking about something like this:

\core        (including tiles and validator)
\apps
\site
\opt-dev   (whiteboard or "sandbox")
\opt-taglib
\opt-el
\opt-faces

The example applications we will have to juggle a bit:

[apps]
/src/example -> /mailreader/src/java
/src/examples -> /examples/src/java
/src/tiles-documentation -> /portal/src/java

And the same for /web
/web/{1}  ->  {1}/src/webapp/

The other directory moving might go something like this:

[opt-el]
src/contrib/struts-el -> opt-el

[opt-legacy]
/src/contrib/struts-legacy -> opt-legacy

[opt-faces]
/src/contrib/struts-faces -> opt-faces

[opt-dev]
/src/contrib/ -> opt-dev

[opt-taglib]
src/share/o.a.s/taglib  ->  opt-taglib/src/java/o.a.s/taglib
src/test/o.a.s/taglib    ->  opt-taglib/src/test/o.a.s/taglib
doc/userGuide/dev_*.* -> opt-taglib/xdocs
doc/userGuide/struts*.* -> opt-taglib/xdocs

[site]
/doc/ - site/xdocs

[core]
/src/share -> core/src/java
/src/test -> core/src/test
/ -> /

This is just a rough starting point. I'd want to try a dry-run offline first, and post
it where people could browse it :)

One question is the packaging of Struts-el. Right now it's org.apache.strutsel. I'm
thinking we might want that to be org.apache.struts.el instead.

We might also want to shuffle some things around in opt-faces to make it more Maven
friendly. It's also sharing the UserDatabase package with the original example, and so
we might want to break the UserDatabase out as a deliverable that multiple
applications could share.

Next question. In making changes like this, at what point do we start breaking the CVS
history? I'd definitely want to keep it all for core and taglibs. The other components
might be less important.

** Last but not least:  What else do we need to do for 1.2.1 ?  -- Just the three
problem tickets  on the bugzilla list now?