At 3:47 PM -0500 3/23/04, Ted Husted wrote:
At this point, we're down to whether to organize the subprojects (units of release) into multiple modules or around top-level-directories in a single module.

My only feeling is that should we start inviting some of the popular extensions to join us, the module approach seems like it would scale better.

I don't have a very strong opinion about it. However, from a Maven perspective, if we want to share resources such as a common project.xml, having multiple modules leaves us with no place to put the shared project. I've also had reasonably good results with the maven "multiproject" goal for building a number of related projects, which would also require a shared project.xml

Plus even if infrastructure doesn't mind making new modules, we don't even have to ask if we want to add new module-like subdirectories under a main "struts" module.

I wouldn't veto a multiple module approach, but these seem like a few decent reasons for having a single CVS module.

Cocoon seems to coin new modules with each major version; is that a good approach?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining."
-- Jef Raskin