Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
Quoting "Peter A. Pilgrim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Joe Germuska wrote:

> Whether the "classic" and "el" taglibs are one chunk or two isn't

hugely important to me either -- I would prefer that this decision be
made by developers who've done more work on that code to date.
However, I did find that when I patched
o.a.s.t.html.JavascriptValidator, I had to go and make a
corresponding change in the EL version.  I suspect that changes in
those two libraries are going to track pretty tightly.  But like I
said, I'm not pushing for this; just floating it...

Is there any reason that the EL tags wouldn't replace the existing tags
for Struts 2.0?  Also, IMO, many of the tags can be removed entirely for
2.0 because they've been replaced by more powerful counterparts in the
JSTL.

As I've been saying (a lot, it seems, lately) on struts-user, I think there are legitimate Struts JSP tags like "html:messages" that are not best replaced by JSTL. Any time Struts tools put resources in special locations in request or session scope, I think it's nice to have tags which know the special locations, instead of expecting people to dig in and find them. And, for example with html:messages, the message-property filtering is a useful feature that would require a lot of verbose JSTL to achieve the same goal.

So, I'd suspect even in 2.0 there will be arguments for a small Struts taglib. But I am 100% on board with pushing people to use the JSTL where it is really equivalent.

Joe

All

+1 Some Struts tags are indeed very great.

I also found the original <html:options> tag to really be useful last year
at RBS generating HTML OPTIONS elements. Repeating the same thing JSTL
<c:if> or <c:when> statment is verbose. If there not EL equivalent
of <html:options>, it will be on my todo list.

It's not just an issue of JSTL and EL-enabling Struts tags. JSF, for example, has more powerful equivalents of <html:options> (<f:selectItems> -- among other fancy things you can make it create hierarchical option lists by emitting <optgroup> very easily), as well as equivalents for <html:messages> (<h:message> for a single field, <h:messages> for the general messages).

So I guess what you are, in fact, saying that we should be using JavaServer Faces or looking to use it, for 2004/2005. One question are the JSF tag actions <h:message> and <h:messages> dependent on a JSF implementation or can they be used standalone?

Perhaps that is what we need to do as Developer. Write some kind of feature
compatibility matrix.

Old Tag        :    New Tag  :  Description
html:messages    h:messages     extends original behaviour and
                                can make it create hierarchical
                                option lists by emitting <optgroup>.

I presume there are some other Struts HTML tags that are favourites with
other people too.

Likewise, the Struts-Faces integation library has JSF-componetized equivalents
for some of the Struts HTML tags (including messages) to make it easier to use
as a drop-in replacement.  I'd be interested in hearing specifically what other
"favorite" tags their are, to make sure that equivalent functionality is
available to a JSF-based user of Struts.

<logic:iterate> superceded by JSTL <logic:forward> superceded by JSTL <logic:redirect> superceded by JSTL <logic:equal> superceded by JSTL <logic:notEqual> superceded by JSTL <logic:greaterThan> superceded by JSTL <logic:greaterEqual> superceded by JSTL etc

<logic:match> no equalivant in JSTL 1.0 but exists String functions in JSTL 1.1

<bean:define> replace with <c:set>

<bean:size>  we need a simple tag lib action for JSP 1.2 and JSTL 1.0 to get
the size of java.uitl.Collection until there is widespread
support JSP 2.0 JSTL 1.1

Investigation continue with rest of Beans taglib ...

--
Peter Pilgrim

Peter Pilgrim
          / //__  // ___// ___/   +  Serverside Java
        / // ___// ___// ___/     +  Expresso Committer
     __/ // /__ / /__ / /__       +  Independent Contractor
    /___//____//____//____/       +  Intrinsic Motivation
On Line Resume
   \\===>  `` http://www.xenonsoft.demon.co.uk/no-it-striker.html ''