gustav spellauge wrote:

> thanks,
>
> that's what i thught but now i can be quit shure.
>
> do you think/know if tmcat 4.x will support hotswapping of all dependencies ?

Tomcat 4.0 supports autoreload when any class (not just a servlet) is updated, as
long as that class is unpacked in WEB-INF/classes.  There is a background thread
that checks for updates, by default every 15 seconds.

Instead of the admin application of 3.2, there is also a manager application in
4.0 that can trigger a reload with a single request:

    http://localhost:8080/manager/reload?path=/myapp

where "/myapp" is the context path of the application you want to reload.  This
works even if "autoreload" is not set on the app in server.xml, so you might find
it faster to trigger reloads this way.  The only thing needed to make it work is
to create a user in conf/tomcat-users.xml that has the role "manager" -- you will
be challenged the first time you reload for the username/password, but after that
you will just need to submit.

When I'm developing an app on Tomcat 4.0, I just leave a small browser window open
on the URL mentioned above.  Whenever I want to reload the app, I just click the
Reload button in this window.  Very quick and easy.

> g.

Craig