At 05:35 PM 2/26/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>James Howe wrote:
>
> > Is there some reason why the base tag defined in the HTML tag library
> > doesn't let you specify the optional target attribute?  I'm working with a
> > frames based web application and I need to use both the href and target
> > attributes.  I know I could subclass the custom base tag, but before I do,
> > I was wondering if there was any particular reason why the standard Struts
> > base tag does let the user specify the target.
> >

>I prefer not to support attributes that aren't in the official HTML 4.01
>specs, and this is one of those.  You're welcome to support it yourself
>in a subclass, however.
>

> > Thanks.
>
>Craig

I thought target was part of the spec.  In looking at the spec on
www.w3c.org, the following page specifically mentions the target attribute:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#edef-BASE

However, the DTD does not mention the target attribute so I'm a bit
confused.  Perhaps target will be superceded by a style-sheet
specification?  If you don't want to change the base tag implementation I
will just plan on creating my own subclass.

Thanks.

James W. Howe                   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Allen Creek Software, Inc.              pgpkey: http://ic.net/~jwh/pgpkey.html
Ann Arbor, MI 48103