I want to use Log4J for logging exceptions thrown in a Struts-based web app.  After
searching through this list, I found 2 common solutions:

1. Extend the Struts ActionServlet and override the init() method to set up a Log4J
Category.  Then in any custom Action class I can just call servlet.Category.debug()
(let's assume Category is a protected or public variable).

2. Write a separate startup servlet and again set up LOG4J in the init() method.  But
my question is, how do I invoke this servlet from my custom Action class?  Do I need
to do a RequestDispatcher.forward() to the servlet when an exception is thrown?  Then
how do I get back to the page I am on to display the error message?

Eric Ma

--

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender