Here are some steps I compiled for the guys at work.

Note: WEB-INF for struts will automatically be
recognized as a web-module. (There is no talk of
struts below).  Also note that the list of steps is
for an older release 3.3 beta 6.  The latest release
of netbeans may not need all of the steps.

hope it helps someone  (a lot of this was compiled by
searching through the netbeans mailing list and the
netbeans site should really be updated with some of
this information at some point...)

Getting Servlet Debugging to Work: Netbeans 3.3.6.

1. Download jdk1.3.1_01 and install.
2. Create an environment variable java_home and point
to the install directory (eg: d:\jdk1.3.1)
3. Download and install Netbeans 3.3.6 (3.3 beta 6)
4. Since this Netbeans does not contain an
installation process update the
ide.cfg file in the <netbeans install
directory>\bin\ide.cfg.
5. Update this file to contain reference to the
jdkhome variable:

-jdkhome d:\jdk1.3.1 -J-Xverify:none -J-Xms24m
-J-Xmx96m

6. Mount a fileSystem if one is not already mounted.
7. Right click and select: New\JSP & Servlet\Web
Module
8. A classes directory should have been created.
9. Right click the classes directory and choose
New\JSP & Servlet\Servlet
10. In the processRequest method - create a simple
output like "Hello World"
11. Compile the servlet.  The target for the
compilation is not set and so
it will default to the current directory which is
fine.  To see this:
Tools/Options/Building/Compiler Types/External
Compilation/Target.  To see which
compilation is being used:
Tools/Options/Building/JSP&Servlet/Default JSP&Servlet
Compiler.
12. Right click on a line in the processRequest()
method and select Toggle Breakpoint.
13. A breakpoint should be visible.
14. Right click on the servlet and select properties.
15. Check the URI parameter of the servlet.
16. Select the "WEB-INF" directory that was created
after step 7.
17. Go to the menu and select "Debug-Start"
18. This should launch Internet Explorer (If it
doesn't - go to
Tools/Options/Building/JSP&Servlet and change the Web
Browser parameter).
19. The web browser will have a url like:
http://localhost:8080  (The port that the
internal tomcat listens on can be changed:
Tools/Options/Debugging & Executing/Execution
Types/J2EE Server Executor
and select Installed Servers.  A server Registry
should open up when you can select:
Server Registry/Installed Servers/Tomcat 3.2  The
properties box lists which port is
applicable).
20.  Tack on the URI parameter determined in step #14.

Additional steps for jsp debugging

21. Set a break point in the jsp you want to:  Right
click on the jsp and select
View\Servlet.  Place the cursor where you want the
break point and select Debug\Add Breakpoint
Change the type from "Class" to "Line" in the dialog
box that pops up and select ok.  Note:
The breakpoint will not be visible.  To remove the
breakpoint -- go to the debugging tab.
--- Michael Mok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> Yes it should work with Netbeans 3.3.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Mok