    CyberZombie> Trying not to cheer too much (just a satisfied user), Cygwin is a
complete *nix environment that runs as a Windows process.  I love symbolic links,
mounts, gcc, perl, awk and all the other tools --
    CyberZombie> especially the bash shell.  And I run it on every PC I use -- office
and home.
    CyberZombie> At home I have sshd (secure shell daemon - part of OpenSSH which is
included in
    CyberZombie> Cygwin) and have no problems punching through any corporate firewall
to not
    CyberZombie> only access my home PC, but (with the help of TightVNC) bring up my
home
    CyberZombie> desktop remotely.

You can even get XFree86 running on it so you can build and run X
applications.