Since this is your first Struts app, I suspect that you can't say for
sure how it will perform on Tomcat or any other container.  I'd suggest
that you find out what your exact requirements are and then figure out
what you'll need to properly address them.  Here's the approach I would
take:

1.  Gather requirements.  What are the reqs in your system for response
time, concurrent users, etc.
2.  Create a proof of concept.  Implement some of your application
components.  I'd go with a simple one (to make sure it works), a
"typical" one (to measure typical usage), and a complex one (to ensure
complex components can be created successfully).
3.  Test the proof of concept. Download every container you can get your
hands on and deploy the POC on each container on the same machine.
Measure it against JProbe or some profiler.  Even a home-grown profiler
can be useful.
4.  Publish the results.  How close can your POC come to meeting the
requirements on the test machine in each container?  How do they
compare?  What will have to be done to come closer to the requirements?
What hardware will be required?

It's not extremely difficult to get fairly accurate measurements and
determine what needs to be done to acheive performance goals.  But you
have to know what the goals are, and you have to test to determine how
to reach the goals.  I believe there's no excuse for getting to the end
of a project and realizing it doesn't perform.  It just doesn't take
*that* much effort to do it up front and regressively do it throughout
the process.

HTH,
Greg