Dan,

Hi. Your spreadsheets notes on Oracle's BC4J framework need a touch-up.

Here's a couple of points to correct:

   (*) BC4J provides a framework for easily building the model layer
       of your app (as your comment hints at, "the part developers
       usually write by hand". Precisely!)

   (*) BC4J works fine with non-Oracle databases

   (*) BC4J works fine in any J2EE App Server, either *using*
       EJB if you want to, or staying with just simple Java classes
       as your model layer instead. Your choice.

So, there is no Oracle lock in as your spreadsheets comment suggest.

The most productive way to use the BC4J framework is through
the wizards, editors, and UML modeling tools that are part of
the Oracle9i JDeveloper IDE, so if anything -- even though you
can use vi or emacs to work on your BC4J framework components --
using the BC4J framework "invites" you to be most productive by
using the Oracle9i JDeveloper IDE, but has no lock-in to either
the Oracle9iAS appserver or the Oracle database.

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Java/XML Evangelist, Author
Simplify J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
Building Oracle XML Apps, www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp