From: chuckcavaness [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 1:00 PM
To: struts-user
Subject: RE: Logging in 1.1b2 -> help me obi-wan

I'm surprised that downloading the newest version of
log4j doesnt' fix your problem. The root cause in your
stack trace:

[org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog does
not implement Log]

implies that the version of the log4j installed in your
web app isnt' the latest. Are you initializing log4j in
your ActionServlet? If so, try commenting all of that
out and going with the log4j default initialization.
This means get the latest and put it into the /lib dir.
Then create a log4j.properties and discuss in my logging
chapter. Put that in the /classes directory and see what
happens.

I'll grab 1.1b2 and test it as well.

Chuck

> So pretty much this is the issue... I cannot seem to have log4j
> anywhere near my struts app and have it still work.
>
> I need log4j for poolman (I think).  The struts book seems to show
log4j
> still co-existing, so I dont understand why this all blow up on me now

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.jav
> a:893)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:808)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.j
> ava:3266)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3395
> )
>       at

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:785)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:454)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:714)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:300)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:389)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:23
> 2)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSu
> pport.java:155)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1131)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:614)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1123)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:343)
>       at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:388)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:506)
>       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:781)
>       at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
>       at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
>       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
> ----- Root Cause -----
> java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError:
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class
> org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog does not implement
Log
>       at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImp
> l.java:530)
>       at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImp
> l.java:285)
>       at

org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImp
> l.java:255)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:375)
>       at

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.<clinit>(ActionServlet.java:375)