I've been very please with OS X as a Java development envioronment.

I just completed my first Struts project built completely on Mac OS X.
I used Struts, Castor JDO, Tomcat, Apache HTTPD, Xerces, Xalan, log4j,
ant for cross-platform building.  Project Builder was my IDE of choice
- ant integration was trivial.  I was the project lead and I did 100%
of my development and testing on Mac OS X.  We had a couple developers
using JBuilder on Win2K.  Our deployment target was Solaris and HP-UX.
We used Oracle 9i running on Linux for the database.  This is now in
available in "developer preview" mode on OS X though I haven't tried it
out yet.  I've been doing some prototyping with JBoss and OpenLDAP also
which seem to be working well so far.

Regarding WebObjects - it's very nice.  I've done some prototyping with
it.  Unfortunately, it still costs money.  It's definitely worth
looking in the right environment.  Obviously Apple's reputation in the
enterprise space isn't great, so you have to overcome perception.  It's
a shame because the enterprise is where NeXT was really powerful.  It's
more expensive than the opensource stuff (Tomcat, JBoss, PHP, etc.),
but the level of "spit and polish", integration and elegance is very
high - much better than many more expensive app servers.  EOF is second
to none WRT O/R tools.  I miss the Objective-C WebObjects but you've
gotta have the Java name for serverside development if you're not
Microsoft.  The WYSIWYG tools are very productive and efficient and
don't get in your way like some other GUI-based web development
packages I've used.  There is a learning curve, but if you understand
OO, MVC and request/response, I don't think it's too much.  I wouldn't
expect more than a couple days to get comfortable with it.  Getting the
WebObjects basics down didn't take me as much time as learning the
details of Struts, JBoss and Castor JDO.

As for why I like OS X over Linux - it just works - no muss, no fuss.
Don't get me wrong, I like Linux.  I have two Linux machines in my
basement that I use for my Internet server and gateways and development
services - I've got them all configured, they work great and I rarely
have to touch them.  This is good because any time I have to touch
them, it take hours to figure out what I need to do and get them
stabilized again.  I run them headless and manage them via XWindows
from OS X.  I use OS X for my primary OS at home and at work now
because it just works and has a nice, first-class UI and great
application support - serverside and desktop.  It comes with Apache
HTTPD, Python, Perl, PHP, Java 1.3.1, C, C++, Objective C, AppleScript,
and much more.  And the developer tools are very nice and extensible
(albeit the auto-completion leaves a little to be desired) and FREE!

The big reason I LOVE OS X is Objective-C and Cocoa.  Dynamic binding
rocks and the Cocoa frameworks allow you to be productive very quickly.
  I'd love to see some more Objective-C features in Java, like
categories (a way to add functionality to existing classes without
subclassing).

I've written a tool that let's developers write client apps in
Objective-C using Cocoa and access an EJB middletier.  This allows
Java-based serverside development and middletier reuse among web and
client applications, while leveraging the sheer beauty of Objective-C
and Cocoa for client application development.

You can check out Apple's OS X (http://www.apple.com/macosx/) and
Darwin (http://developer.apple.com/darwin/) sites for more details.
BTW, Darwin is the open source, underlying UNIX implementation based on
the Mach kernel and BSD 4.4 UNIX.  I believe there is even a select set
of Intel hardware that will run Darwin.

Cheers!
Matthew