Hopefully, in the near future, you could even use a variant of Struts,
called "Struts-EL", which is a contributed library I submitted a few days
ago, as an enhancement request (#12365).  This library contains versions of
most of the Struts tags (it omits the Struts tags which the JSTL fully
replaces), but which use the JSTL EL engine for attribute values, instead of
rtexprvalues.