From: Joe Barefoot [mailto:Joe.Barefoot@;motiva.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 4:17 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Does Anyone Know What This Error Message Means?

Hi Celeste,

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but have you considered
using another (free) container besides JRun 3.1?  We have been running tests
of our application on the latest-greatest integrated JBoss3/Tomcat4
distribution, and it works very well.  JBoss supports all the usual J2EE
services, and the new Tomcat container is leaps and bounds faster than its
predecessors.  If you already build and deploy with Ant, then testing out a
new container should be pretty easy.  Also, I guarantee you the mailing list
support for open-source is better than what you've been experiencing with
JRun. :)

b.t.w., I'm not knocking JRun, I hear the latest version works very well,
and I do like their Jini-enabled clustering architecture (provided it works
as they claim, of course).  Judging from list traffic, 3.1 doesn't play too
nice with others though.

Also, don't let this sour you on Struts--I've been working with it for
almost a year now on two completely different applications, and it's been a
bastion of sanity in what would otherwise be an impossibly snarled codebase.

peace,
Joe