By 'local' do you mean the client's machine?

If so any restictions are the bane of the webbrowser, personally i hope my
browser wouldn't permit such action. Can't you mess with stuff on the server
and then offer a download of the results?

The actual controling of files on the client machine would have little to do
with the jsp, you'd be looking at technologies supported by the browser
(plugin or otherwise)...

Hopefully i haven't misunderstood your question..

Thanks mark