> I just started developing webapplications with struts. It's great for
> the application-part of the website, but for the publishing of static
> text I don't see much advantage using struts. For that I see a great
> advantage in using cocoon.
>
> Now I didn't use cocoon yet. But for me the ideal combination
> would be
> that I could insert into a tiles-definition a jsp-page, a
> struts-action,
> a tiles-definition or a xml page. The first three would be handled by
> struts and the xml-page by cocoon.
>
> Have anyone experience with this kind of use with cocoon and struts?

Well, I use both products.
And love them both.

Cocoon has some great features (mostly that you almost never write
Java code + its URL sitemap system). Its major drawback is that you must be
skilled in XSLT and comment your code (do it!). The other drawback I see is
that
design patterns with Cocoon are hard to understand at first. Your
first applications are a mess where logic is hidden in different places.
When skill comes, you see the big power of each component of the system
and see some design patterns. These design patterns are mostly the mantra
"be MVC, be MVC", so if you use Struts a lot, you won't be lost (believe me,
from a PHP programmer point of view, it was harder to understand :-)

Struts provides very efficient design patterns for web dev + simple and
(VERY!) efficient
taglibs. My main concern are for peripherical things such as URL rewriting,
cache management, genericity (with Cocoon, you use Cocoon components all the
time,
with Struts, you use jEdit all the time :-), database access, aggregation of
datasources
(my god, Cocoon is so good at that!!!), HTML/PDF output.

For info, my company provides an full IDE for Cocoon (data model made into
Netbeans +
XSL for HTML made in dreamweaver + autogeneration of forms for
add/edit/delete entities
of the data model :-).

Now, I stop this OT about Cocoon, contact me privately for more infos.
Or (as usual) mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ...

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be
accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and
security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of
Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.