> I Confused when I read you email AND an article about XMLForms from
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=XMLFormsStruts !!
>
> Can we replace all the struts functionality with cocoon? Is
> cocoon a MVC
> frame work too? I thought cocoon works on presentation layer only.

Cocoon is not a concurrent of Strutsxx for example.
Cocoon is a framework which provides several SAX components (
XML generators, XML transformers, serializers) + a sitemap
processor that dynamically  bind URLs
and pipelines. A pipeline is a small code (in fact an XML
description) that say which Cocoon components you chain
in order to create the document the user requested via this URL.

The problem of Cocoon (at first) is that you bind too tightly
URLs and pipelines (the same URL pattern == the same pipeline). This
is exactly the behaviour you want for publishing reasons.
But it is not very flexible.

If you design a web site "MVC-style", you use a Struts-like strategy
and use some "front-end" URLs and dynamically bind them with "back-end"
URLs.

> By the way, can you explain this line:
>
> ... you almost never write Java code + its URL sitemap system

The basic concept of Cocoon is "give me an URL, i will build a pipeline,
execute it and sent back the resulting document".
All the internal data are SAX events. So you manage only XML streams.

You never write Java code, cause the pipeline is always made of
generic Cocoon components (DBGenerators..., XSLTransformers...) so you spend
your time configuring them for your current need, but you (rarely)
write a Cocoon component.

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be
accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and
security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of
Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.